Sunday 1 August 2010

Assignment 5B

Last semester the Textiles department were given a project brief regarding ‘Culture’, as I am new to Dundee I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to get used to my surroundings and learn about the city. I decided that I would look into the history of Dundee and was initially drawn to the Victoria Docks and what Dundee has to offer the locals of today. I would also look at how Dundonians are keen to progress past the tackiness that the ‘Beano’ brings to the city although it is an important parts of Dundee’s heritage and many locals have differing opinions regarding the subject. I would say my research was relatively successful although it only consisted of photographs and a few articles on the history of Dundee, I realise now how I could have thoroughly researched this topic using primary and secondary research methods I learned in semesters one and two of Design Studies.






Had I been more aware of the different types of research methods that could have been beneficial for me I would have done a few things differently. I would first of all checked the main library for books and online journals instead of relying on the faculty library, also the ’cross search’ tool for more varied results. I planned to find blue prints and route maps of the vessels but I gave up when I couldn’t find what I was looking for, here the main library could have helped me in my search as well as informing me of any current projects on going in Dundee at that time. Doing so I would be gathering information from different sources to broaden my knowledge on the topic I was investigating then I would have gone on to create more in-depth mind maps by asking fellow classmates to expand my knowledge base on a more visual level.





Another aspect form Design Studies I could have used to my advantage is the ‘semiotics’ experiment seen in assignment 2 looking at the concept of polysemy. For this type of research I would have looked into how Dundee is looking to remove itself from the initial association with the ‘Beano’ and Dundee being seen as tacky, for this I could have interviewed members of the public, older residents, students and tourists. For example, showing images of the old ‘welcome to Dundee sign’ and also the ‘Desperate Dan’ statue seen in the town centre. It would be interesting to see the different opinions of different age, sex and race, I could maybe then have added text to see if I could influence the results or get a more passionate reaction from the subjects.





Perhaps a research method I could have used would be to undertake a ‘Design Safari’, (a term coined by Chris Davis, founder of Live/Work in 2008) this would integrate ethnography into my own work and research, I could have visited the docks on more than one occasion and observed how people behave around the area, both around the water front and HM Frigate Unicorn to the more regenerated City Quay flats and Retail Village. Do they differ? Are the majority of people around the docks dog walkers or tourists and the Retail Village just locals looking to pick up a pizza? I could also observe if there is a difference in the order that people behave around the contrasting ‘new and old’ elements of Victoria Dock. Do they treat the newer buildings with more respect? Is there less graffiti? In order to fully answer these questions I would have to actually carry out the experiment properly.





For more receptive results I could have included a probe to try and inspire my subjects, with a disposable camera, pen and note pad inside this would encourage them to continuously think about their answers throughout their time around the area, what do they see differently from me? To look more closely at their surroundings, do they behave in a different manner when they know they are being monitored? This would also encourage students new to the area (like myself) who are not familiar with Dundee to venture out beyond the University campus, for this experiment I would have to ensure all participants were safe throughout.





On looking back I think that these research methods would have helped develop me initial studio practise in directions that I left unexplored, although not all methods I have learned would be suitable all the time, I see a clear link in how the skills we learn within Design Studies are directly linked to our studio work which before hand I ignorantly assumed were irrelevant. I think my normal research methods of taking photographs, location drawings and basic mind maps are visually helpful and none the less important, I see how by interviewing my peers I can find out exactly what they are looking for and thoroughly meet their needs. Although I still see myself as a training art student I realise that I cannot rely on what I produce in the studio to carry me through and this has been an important lesson. Of course practise makes perfect and the more experience I have of fully researching my briefs will not only help me now but also when I progress to level three, vastly important when I come to write my dissertation and by the time I am (hopefully) a fully pledged designer will be a second language to me.





Perhaps at a later date I could go back to the ‘culture’ brief and apply all the methods I have discussed and see the difference in my outcome and find that I would be more satisfied with the final outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment