Sunday 1 August 2010

The Rhetoric of the Image

The Rhetoric of the Image




Below are some of my notes taken from the essay by Roland Barthes,





Semiotic theory - study of signs and symbols

Epistemology - the study of origin, nature, methods and limits of human knowledge.
Basically describing how photography has changed how we see things.

We cannot recreate form , everything is a copy.

What we see in photos are never the same as what we see with the naked eye

Heuristic - serving to indicate
How text and image are related, is one 'better' than the other? Or vies versa?

We cannot see an image without automatically giving it a meaning

Images and their meanings can be altered by who sees it and how they are feeling at the time

Adverts make us see what the advertiser wants us to see and they know how to manipulate and target us.







Within my own work?



As a designer I will always have to come to a compromise with my clients, I will never see the finished product the same was a my clients and depending on background, age, race and sex will influence the way my client sees the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment